I found this little binge-worthy gem on Hulu. It was a Friday night alone after a long, hard traveling work week. I was exhausted and didn’t have the energy to go out but still felt like spending some quality time with my own kind. After surfing Amazon Prime Video and Netflix I was lamenting to myself the lack of quality LGBTQ entertainment when I stumbled upon this Australian diamond.
There are 2 seasons on Hulu that follow Joshua an obviously gay, but only freshly out twenty-year-old through his underachieving life with his straight friends and dysfunctional parents. Some have called it the LGBTQ “GIRLS.” These are definitely imperfect people just like in Girls, but if you’re like me you’ll still appreciate the occasional eye candy, like Joshua’s first boyfriend Geoffrey
The fact that I was nominated for a Brodie award!
The purpose of the Brodie Awards is to recognize Mormon themed material on the Internet. There are several categories, and I’m nominated in TWO! (Confession: I nominated one of my blog posts – which is totally legit, but someone else nominated another of my blog posts!)
Go vote for me if you agree that these blog posts should win the category:
- Funniest Humor Piece: Dad’s Primal Scream’s Insta-Gay and Lickety-Split Lesbian
- Best Mormon Parenting Piece: Dad’s Primal Scream’s series on his kids and the policy
Also, consider voting for my friends in these categories:
- Most Poignant Personal Story: I just ache, by Kiley
- Best Advice: Appearing on the TLC Network will only get you into trouble, by Gay Mormon Southpaw
- Best Response to Apologetics: Kennewick Man breaks Heartland hearts, by Simon Southerton
- Best Mormonism-and-Gender Discussion: Why It’s Tough to Be a Mormon Man, by Angela C
- Best LDS-Interest Book (Fiction): A Danger to God Himself, by John Draper
If nothing else, go read all these posts nominated in the category of Best Mormonism-and-Orientation Post:
- Soulmates, by myrtlejoy
- Church Lovingly Bars Certain Children from Membership, by Stake Pres.
- Revelation that Calls for Others to Sacrifice, by Lynnette
- Duty Bound to Reject it! by Bill Reel
- LDS Church Clarifies Stance on Same-Sex Childhood Apostasy, by Russ Stewart
- Consequences, Intended or Otherwise, by Julie M. Smith
- Michael Ferguson, Seth Anderson/ Fighting Gay Conversion Therapy, by Mormon Stories
Some recent smart ass memes
As a complete Geography nerd I love this game/time-waster. Using Google street view, the game drops you at a random location in the world and your task is to figure out where it is. After quite a bit of moving around, I can sometimes get within yards of guessing the actual starting point… Great fun. It’s available on smartphone too!
Taking my girls on their first Ski trip!
Almost every winter I’ve taken the kids to play in the snow in local mountains (Remember, they’ve grown up in Southern California and Phoenix). But this year I cashed in some travel points and took them full on skiing in nearby New Mexico.
After a morning of lessons, they hit the slopes and by day’s end they’d all converted to ski bunnies.
The next day we explored Santa Fe.
This was the first time they had ever seen snow fall! That led to one of the comments every dad wants to hear on a family vacation,
This is one of the best moments of my life!! Thanks Dad!
Relatives of LDS Church Authorities With the Balls to Speak up in Support of LGBT folks
- Eric Reeves, Son of LDS Relief Society General Presidency 2nd Counselor Linda S. Reeves, Encourages Open Opposition to LDS Church SGA Policy Changes
The irony that the “other” Mormons are more Christian/Christ-like and their “Prophet” more of a leader than LDS counterparts
Nope, still not joining another religion, but this would definitely be one I’d consider if I did.